Saturday, July 9, 2011

Back to the Beginning

When I began creating cards for myself and for family, I did so with handmade papers I had purchased at a local art supply store. I fell in love with their paper section and loved how I could use small pieces of large sheets and make a big impression, making the beautiful paper last seemingly forever. My sister's mother-in-law lives in Nepal and makes yearly visits home to California and for several years would bring back these beautiful papers to give to me, for which I was extremely grateful. Not only was she able to bring me colors that I couldn't find here, but even the bags they came in were made from handmade paper which I found uses for.

After several years, I moved on to photo art and stopped pulling out my papers except for personal card use. Well, for the last few months I have been looking at those papers and hearing them call me and finally sat down yesterday for a little play time with them. I loved working with them---beautiful colors, textures, prints...it's been too long. So, for as long as this is satisfying my creative urge, I will continue to make my cards using these beautiful treasures from near and far and have reopened the section in my shop called "Threads and Shreds". I have a feeling my piles of fine fabric remnants will be calling to me soon, too, and the results (Threads) will be joining these paper creations (Shreds). I hope people enjoy them as much as I enjoy making them!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the color and pattern mix, Laurie! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Judy! It was fun to work with the papers again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!