Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Autumn Love

School is back in full swing and even though there aren't many other signs of fall here in Southern California yet, there is a coolness in the mornings and a change in the air that reminds me of why Autumn is my favorite season.


When I was a child, growing up on the east coast of the U.S., I can remember the chill in the morning air persuading me to wear the new school clothes that had been designed for cool weather and being miserably hot by the time I walked home from the school bus drop off.

Of course, the next morning, I would do it again, not believing that the afternoon could really warm up that much when it was so darn chilly in the morning!

Farmers markets, fresh apple cider, the smell of leaves burning, the bright oranges, yellows, reds, mixing with different shades of browns and greens against the bright blue skies...we have that here, too, but not to the same degree and not until much later in the season.

Night time begins to creep into the late afternoon, the kids start talking about Halloween costumes and asking when we'll go to the pumpkin patch to choose our pumpkins we'll later carve into Jack O'Lanterns, and I start itching to get outside with my camera and try to capture the season, hoping it will last a little longer than Mother Nature normally grants us...

See more at Made by SwirlyGirl!

10 comments:

  1. Love the pumpkins, Laurie. After all, orange is my favourite colour. Though you'd never know it. I am so looking forward to fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post, so colorful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I supposed also to say that the photos are great, excellent compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Suzanne! And Adrian, I really appreciate your comments--thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Ladies! In my world, pumpkins would have blue on them somewhere! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fall and miss those "back east" changing leaves! The pumpkins are gorgeous!

    Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!